2006 - 2010 Highlights
- Developed four Membership categories—Corporate Council, Partners in Progress, Leadership Legacy and Honorary—reflecting our collaborative approach and providing the forum for decision-making leaders to resolve issues.
- Rotated monthly membership meetings among venues in Allegany, Garrett and Mineral Counties.
- Created “The Greater Good Award” to annually recognize members whose exemplary efforts to enhance the region are accomplished by adopting a personal philosophy of “less fame, more gain”.
- Updated organizational by-laws
- Organized Leadership Maryland and Leadership West Virginia alumni round table.
- Created The Regional Leadership Series, sponsored by the institutions of higher education in the region, focused on grooming next generation leaders.
- Sponsored the Leading the Way Seminar Series designed to elevate awareness of public policy issues in the region.
- Convened the Presidents’ Rountable, bringing together the presidents of the four institutions of higher education in the region, including Allegany College of Maryland, Frostburg State University, Garrett College and Potomac State College, to discuss key issues of workforce preparedness, high school preparation for post-secondary education, and opportunities for increased collaboration.
- Implemented Achievement Counts, engaging business leaders as speakers in schools in Allegany, Garrett and Mineral Counties.
North/South Appalachian Highway
- Developed the North/South Appalachian Highway Coalition of 135 members, including business and civic leaders, government entities and elected officials in the Highway’s affected states of Maryland, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
- Secured $750,000 from Maryland to complete DEIS for southern leg (Route 220).
- Updated the 2001 Feasibility Study providing conclusive data regarding the jobs creation impact of a completed North/South Corridor.
- Organized meetings with 13 Congressional leaders, including all six (6) Senators from Maryland, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
Additional Economic Development Initiatives
- Sponsored public forums to discuss the need for mid-range price housing to support economic development.
- Introduced the potential of natural gas extraction related to the Marcellus Shale geological deposit.
- Co-sponsored, with Frostburg State University, the Western Maryland Technology Showcase, designed to introduce to FSU alumni the opportunities available to locate business in our regional community.
- Partnered with planning officials in Allegany, Garrett and Mineral counties to discuss growth related issues, including housing, transportation, cultural/recreational enhancement, economic development expansion and water resources. TGCC offered testimony related to Maryland’s Smart Growth initiative and its impacts on rural development.
- Implemented a pilot recycling program with several TGCC member businesses to encourage enhanced awareness and participation in recycling.