2011 - 2014 Highlights
- Continued to sponsor the Regional Leadership Series (2011-2015) in partnership with Allegany College of Maryland, Frostburg State University, Garrett College and Potomac State College.
- Designed the curriculum for Leadership Maryland's Western Maryland Region tour.
- Support the work of the Community Trust Foundation, which was inspired by TGCC leaders.
- Expanded the Presidents' Roundtable (presidents of the four higher education institutions) to include the public school superintendents from Allegany, Garrett and Mineral Counties.
- Continued to support Achievement Counts, engaging business leaders as speakers in schools in Allegany, Garrett and Mineral Counties.
- Co-hosted the Power of Possibilities Summit, designed to bring educators and entrepreneurs together with a goal of fostering start-up business opportunities.
North/South Appalachian Highway
- The North/South Appalachian Highway Coalition grows to 165 members, including business and civic leaders, government entities and elected officials in the Highway’s affected states of Maryland, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. TGCC sponsors an annual N/S Appalachian Highway Coalition meeting to share project progress updates.
- Successfully advocated for and worked directly with Senators Cardin and Mikulski (MD) and Congressman Shuster (PA) to ensure passage of toll credit language in the Federal transportation bill, bringing completion of the North/South Appalachian Highway closer to reality.
- Continued to organize annual advocacy meetings in Washington, DC with Congressional leaders representing Maryland, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
- Developed strategic partnerships with Continental-1, the bi-national trade corridor spanning 1,500 miles from Toronto to Miami, and the I-81 Coalition, which has inspired economic growth in Washington County, MD.
- Celebrated four years of advocacy work resulting in ground-breaking ceremony for roadwork to complete US-219 from Somerset to Meyersdale; next focus is to complete the final section from Meyersdale to I-68.
Additional Economic Development Initiatives
- Sponsored forums for information exchange and collaboration opportunities with county commissioners and economic development professionals in Allegany, Garrett, Mineral and Somerset Counties.
- Participated in The Power of 32 regional visioning project, representing 32 counties in Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. TGCC Executive Director served on the Power of 32 Executive Committee.
- Organized a regional forum and corresponding work group to address broadband issues as a deterrent for economic growth.
- Engaged in leadership discussions on development of the Marcellus Shale geological deposit and encouraged broad discussions of associated emerging technologies.
- Created a Regional Energy Forum designed to discuss the breadth of energy sources (coal, wind, natural gas, solar, timber) in the region. Sponsored multiple annual symposia to address issues and opportunities associated with energy development.
- Supported the Deep Creek 2014 Canoe Slalom event as an economic investment tool.
- Promoted a regional overview on healthcare issues and delivery among our regional health care community partners.
- Highlighted the availability of Tax Incremental Financing (TIF) and how this financing tool could benefit increased economic growth.
- Sponsored multiple presentations by Anirban Basu, nationally recognized economist, focused on the economic health of our region.
- Engaged in discussions with Plan Maryland advocates regarding potential negative impacts to future growth in Western Maryland.
- Co-hosted the Western Maryland Coal Summit to showcase the impact of coal as an energy source and as an economic driver.
- Hosted a membership meeting on the positive impact of the hiking/biking trail network in our region.