2015 - Current Highlights
- The Higher Education President's Roundtable increases its scope by adding the presidents of West Virginia University and the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Studies.
- TGCC engages with the Commission on Innovation and Excellence in Education, Chaired by Dr. Brit Kirwan; focus areas include creating building blocks for high-performance schools and curriculum financing decisions related to workforce demands.
- Continued to co-host the Power of Possibilities Summit, designed to bring educators and entrepreneurs together with a goal of fostering start-up business opportunities; added Lean Summits and Mountain Maker Fest programs.
- Established a Regional Job Intern Bank.
North/South Appalachian Highway
- North/South Appalachian Highway Coalition continues to meet annually to update goals based on progress to date.
- Continued to organize annual advocacy meetings in Washington, DC with Congressional leaders representing Maryland, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
- Strategic partnership continues with Continental-1, the bi-national trade corridor spanning 1,500 miles from Toronto to Miami.
- Construction begins on US-219 from Somerset to Meyersdale; anticipated completion date is 2018.
- In June 2015, Governor Hogan (MD) announcesd $90 million award to complete section of 219 North from the MD/PA line to a new interchange at I-68.
Additional Economic Development Initiatives
- Hosted annual Regional Energy Forums to explore energy development opportunity and organized a membership meeting to understand the Dan's Mountain Wind Farm project.
- Supported legislation to encourage natural gas development; opposed regulations determined to be too restrictive to the natural gas industry; sponsored a forum on dry-fracking methodology.
- Provided a forum to share information to our members on the Bridges to Opportunity and Strengthening Working Families Initiative.
- Convened regional community partners to host an Addiction Symposium, focusing on treatment, prevention and enforcement.
- Continued discussions on broadband issues as they relate to economic development.
- Established the I-68 Regional Economic Partnership with Allegany and Garrett Counties (MD), the Cumberland Economic Development Corporation, the City of Frostburg, Mineral, Preston and Monongalia Counties (WV); selected a site consultant, TIP Strategies, to create a regional asset map, targeted industry study, labor shed analysis and county-specific recommendations to advance economic development.