Married to Mary Kay (Kelly) Finan, a retired professor of Education at Frostburg State University. They are the parents of two children: Patrick and Kelly.
- Mount St. Mary’s University: B.S. in Business with a minor in Economics, 1964.
- Frostburg State University: Master of Science in Management (M.S.M), 1973.
- Johns Hopkins University: Master of Liberal Arts (M.L.A.), 1979.
- 1967-1969 Peace Corps Volunteer, Bolivia, South America
- 1969-1987 Times and Alleganian Company, Cumberland, Md; Vice President, Business Manager, and an owner of the Times-News, Cumberland’s daily newspaper until it was sold in 1986.
- 1987-2015 Private Investor. Retired since 2015
- Member of the board of Allegany College from 1970 until 1994 and was chairman of the board from 1988 to 1994.
- Served on the board of Mount St. Mary’s University from 1987 to 1994.
- Was a member of the Board of Regents of the University System of Maryland from 1995 to 2007.
- Served on the board of the Memorial Hospital and was its chairman in 1996 when Memorial and Sacred Heart Hospitals formed an affiliation to create the Western Maryland
- Currently a member of the Western Maryland Health System Foundation board.
- Member of the Allegany County Library board. Founding member of the Greater Cumberland Committee.
- Past member board of the Liberty Trust Company and its successor banks, the American Trust Bank and Keystone Financial of Harrisburg when it was acquired by the M&T
- Past member of the grants committee for the Allegany Arts Council.
Awards and Recognition
- 1997 Allegany County Chamber of Commerce Individual of the Year. For co-chairing the Committee which made recommendations to the boards of Memorial Hospital and Sacred Heart Hospital to bring them into an affiliation creating the Western Maryland Health System.
- 2017 The Greater Cumberland Committee - The Greater Good Award.